The Fattypants Papers

Fattypants writes about things that have actually happened to her...sometimes. Other times she writes about things that could have happened, but instead she made them up while going about her perfectly ordinary business. The 'Pants also reviews things like books, movies, foofie bath products, and anything else that strikes her fancy.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

disneylanddisneylanddisneylanddisneyland. DISNEYLAND! (is better than Disney World)

To know me is to know how much I love Disneyland. At the end of October, I'll be heading down there to celebrate my 30th birthday. This is causing kind of a dilemma for me, because I want the time to go fast so that I can go, but that means I will also be wanting the last 49 days of my 20's speed by.

It's been pointed out to me that I am fixated on Disneyland. Well, I did know that--I have been like this since 1993. If I don't have a trip to Disneyland planned, I feel empty and desolate inside. If I do, I am counting down the days (48, if you're followng along at home). I recently figured out I've been to Disneyland 16 or 17 times. (Anybody happen to remember whether Karen and I went in the Summer of 1998? Because we don't, and it's driving me crazy.) And I went to Disney World 5 times whe I was living in Florida.

It occured to me...why am I not blogging about Disneyland? I certainly have a lot to say about it.

In order to convince some people that Disneyland is better than Disney World, and they need to give it a try, here is a list of reasons why I think Disneyland is better than Disney World.

1. It's the original. The park was built with Walt Disney's input, and has a richer history, like the apartment over the firehouse, and Club 33.

2. New Orleans Square. What's more fun--the Big Easy, or Colonial Williamsburg. Sure, Disneyworld has Liberty Square--whose biggest attraction is the Hall of Presidents. Big whoop. Disneyland has New Orleans Square, which is one of the prettiest places in any of the parks. So, the land itself is prettier and more fun to walk around in, but then it has stuff that Disney World either doesn't have, or doesn't do as well. They are so important, they get their own spots on the list.

The Disneyland Railroad pulls into New Orleans Square Station


3. Pirates of the Caribbean. At Disney World, you get on a boat, and you go past some animatronic pirates, and it's nice, sure, but if you've ever been on Pirates at Disneyland, you're bound to be disappointed. At Disneyland, you get on your boat, and you drift through a big bayou at night scene, then you come to the arch where the skull warns you "Dead men tell no tales," and you plunge down a real drop (not the dinky little drop they put in at Disney World, which they probably felt they had to do because Disneyland has a drop), and you're in these caverns full of pirate skeletons, ship debris, and booty. Then you come out in the world of the "fleshy" animatronic pirates. There's much more of a story to it--like you were just taking a little bayou cruise and accidentally fell into the caves with the skeletons, and were transported magically back in time. Apparently, Pirates at Disneyland now has a Jack Sparrow figure, but I haven't seen it yet, so I don't have a comment (but will report back after our trip).

4. The Blue Bayou. While you're on Pirates, as you're winding through the bayou-at-night scene, you pass an "outdoor" restaurant lit with pastel lanterns. This might just be my favorite place to eat lunch in the whole world. It is so nice to come in from a hot, sunny day to this "night time" setting, all dark and cool. They have great food, too. A lot of people are smitten with the Monte Cristo, but I like the pork loin with apples. Apparently they've made some changes; check out this review which includes pictures. Pirate dessert! I think the cookie boat is the cutest, but I'm a sucker for a creme brulee trio. Only at Disneyland.

5. The Haunted Mansion. The ride at Disneyland is about the same as Disney World, but the house is much prettier:


And, from early October to early January, they do the Haunted Mansion Holiday: a Nightmare Before Christmas take on the ride. It's awesome.

6. The Matterhorn. Sure it's not the most thrilling roller coaster ever, but it's a fun ride, and a park landmark, and it's only at Disneyland. And you get to listen to yodeling while you wait.

7. it's a small world. Like the Haunted Mansion, the ride is about the same at both parks, but Disneyland's small world has its own, pretty building and outdoor boarding area, with a big cuckoo-type clock.


8. Mr Toad's Wild Ride. It's a classic, and they closed the one at Disney World to put in Winnie-the-Pooh.

9. Alice in Wonderland dark ride. This dark ride is second only to Peter Pan for me. It's so cute. The loading area has big leaves and flowers, and you get to wind around on a caterpillar. Also, the teacups at Disneyland are cuter--no cover, and nice colored lanterns.

10. Storybook Canal/Casey Junior Circus Train. There's a whole land of buldings and plants "magically shrunk by Tinkerbell" depicting scenes from Disney films. The Storybook Canal boats are a guided tour past Geppetto's toys shop, Alice's rabbit hole, Snow White's cottage, and other sentimental favorites. On the Casey Junior Circus Train, you can take a faster ride around the same landscape.


11. Toontown. Disney World has "Mickey's Toontown Fair," which is cute because it features the "vacation homes" of some of the Disney characters, but Toontown is bigger, better, cuter, and more thoughtfully planned. The bathrooms are in the gas station for crying out loud.

12. Space Mountain. It's just a better ride at Disneyland.

13. Autopia. Cuter at Disneyland.

14. Scale. A lot of people like Disney World better because it's bigger and there are more parks. While I can see this as a plus in Disney World's favor, I love that at Disneyland, both parks, all the hotels, and Downtown Disney are within easy walking distance of each other. It makes such a difference that you really can hop out of the park for lunch in Downtown Disney without having to take a bus or a boat there.

15. Indiana Jones Adventure. Disney World has (or used to have--I'm not sure if it's been replaced) a stunt show, but Disneyland has a really good ride. Who wouldn't rather go on a ride than just sit and watch a show.

That's about all I can think of right now, although the main thing for me, is probably just that I went to Disneyland first, every few years since I was about 5, and I didn't go to Disney World until I was 26. So there's probably some nostalgia invovled.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:34 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    Agreed, Disneyland is WAY better! You're making me want to go, and soon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home