The Fattypants Papers

Fattypants writes about things that have actually happened to her...sometimes. Other times she writes about things that could have happened, but instead she made them up while going about her perfectly ordinary business. The 'Pants also reviews things like books, movies, foofie bath products, and anything else that strikes her fancy.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

30th and final SRP Book Review

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell

186 pages

Do you remember in Elementary School, how the teacher would read a chapter book aloud to the class, after lunch, or after recess? I don't even remember which teacher read this to us, but I think it was third grade. I was totally wrapped up in the world of Island of the Blue Dolphins.

I bought a copy a few years ago, but I decided I didn't really want to keep it, and am going to pass it on to my cousin's daughters, who are getting to be the right age. But I wanted to read it first.

It was as good as I remembered. Left behind after her tribe leaves the small island they live on, Karana survives for years. It's really striking how brave and resourceful she is, not only learning to survive, but also taming some of the animals who live on the island for companionship.

I had no idea that it was a true story, but according to the author's note, the book is based on a woman who lived alone on the island for 18 years.

This book brought my total books from June-August to 30, and my total pages to 9416.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home