The Fattypants Papers

Fattypants writes about things that have actually happened to her...sometimes. Other times she writes about things that could have happened, but instead she made them up while going about her perfectly ordinary business. The 'Pants also reviews things like books, movies, foofie bath products, and anything else that strikes her fancy.

Monday, June 12, 2006




File under: So Wrong, It's Right. (I hope)

Guess what I just heard? They are making a STAGE MUSICAL out of XANADU!


I was four when the movie came out, but I clearly remember going to see it with my family, one rainy day during our annual summer vacation at Hood Canal. I thought it was just about the coolest thing ever, and spent a good part of the next few years dancing around our rec room to the record and tucking the skirt of my unicorn dress up into my underpants on the sides in order to look more like Kira. (Unfortunately, the latter behavior wasn't limited to our rec room. Nope, I did that at school, too. I might as well have been a paste eater.) My sister and even my brother were similarly afflicted, although they mostly roller skated to the record, and, (as far as I know) didn't resort to any inappropriate makeshift clothing modifications.

A few years ago, my sister bought the video, and I was so excited to see it again. Boy, was I embarrassed for my younger self. And for poor Gene Kelly. The dialogue is unintentionally hilarious. Michael Beck's acting is bad, bad, bad, and his shorts are teeny weeny. (No pun intended.)

After the moderate (though slightly dubious) success of movie-based stage shows like Footloose and Saturday Night Fever (and disco-riffic success of Mamma Mia!), I guess it's not surprising that someone thought this would be a good idea.

According to this Playbill.com article, Alan Tudyk has been cast as Sonny. I lurve him, and I trust him not to do Bad Acting. Hopefully, the shorts will not be miniscule, but if they are, I guess he has some practice from 28 Days. Richard Kind is taking on the Gene Kelly role, and Kira will be played by the actress who originated the role of Penny in Hairspray. No word yet whether the actors will roller skate on stage, but we can only hope.

I don't know about this. I want to be excited. I have the feeling it could be sort of like the musical equivalent of Chicken in a Biskit crackers: Kind of disgusting, junky, conceived by someone who was obviously on crack, and totally irresistible. I hope so. Or, it could be a total train wreck. Either way, I must see it! It's scheduled to hit off-Broadway about this time next year. (below: "Yee Haw!")

2 Comments:

  • At 12:49 PM, Blogger KiKi said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger KiKi said…

    No, I did not resort to any inappropriate clothing modifications but that doesn't mean I didn't want to BE KIRA. I LOVED this movie! I think I could still sing all the words to all the songs. "London, Hamburg, Paris, Rome, Rio, Hong Kong, Tokyo, LA, New York, Amsterdam, Monte Carlo, Shard End (what the??) and... All over the wo-o-o-rld, everybody's got the wo-o-o-rd..."
    They have to roller skate on stage - they just have to!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home