The Fattypants Papers

Fattypants writes about things that have actually happened to her...sometimes. Other times she writes about things that could have happened, but instead she made them up while going about her perfectly ordinary business. The 'Pants also reviews things like books, movies, foofie bath products, and anything else that strikes her fancy.

Saturday, June 10, 2006

SRP Book Review #2

The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates

481 pages

This book tells the story of a woman named Ariah, her two husbands, and her children. Through them, it also tells the story of Niagara Falls--the town, and the natural wonder. Oates paints a portrait of The Falls as a mecca for honeymooners and suicides, enclave of upstate New York's wealthy, industrial center, and environmental disaster area over approximately 30 years, starting in 1950.

Since the plot is not predictable, I don't want to give away too much of what happens to Ariah and her family. I enjoyed the first two thirds of the novel, but thought it fell apart a little at the end, as the focus turned to Ariah's children. The chronology is sloppy, and while I realize that she is probably telling the story in a nonlinear way for narrative effect, it didn't do it for me. Also, there is at least one mistake--Chandler, the oldest son, is said at one point to be in eighth grade at a pivotal event, later, he is said to be 11 during something that definitely happens quite some time after this event. Yeah, he's smart, but there's not mention of him being a freaky grade-skipping genius.

I am pretty sure I had heard of Love Canal before, probably in a high school social studies class, but this was a nice review, and I enjoyed reading about it from a fictional perspective, which I always think provides better insight as to how things like this effect real people. (Which is kind of twisted, I know.)

I enjoyed the book, but expected more, especially since it got great reviews. If you are looking to read a historical novel about Niagara Falls, I'd recommend City of Light by Lauren Belfer instead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home